About the Fund
The Russian Far East Conservation Fund (RFE Conservation Fund) supports environmental groups and conservation initiatives protecting the Last Great Wild. The RFE Conservation Fund is a long-term, dedicated sustainer of the region’s grassroots environmental organizations. It connects communities in the U.S. to the environmental heroes sustaining the Last Great Wild.
Long-term, sustainable environmental change must originate from strong local organizations—the best stewards of natural resources and biodiversity. The RFE Conservation Fund provides consistent institutional support to key environmental organizations in eastern Russia. Grants from the RFE Conservation Fund will support these groups to hire and retain professional staff, conduct fieldwork, and engage in advocacy and public education to protect the most important ecosystems of the Last Great Wild. Grants range from $15,000 to $50,000 per year for each organization.
The Fund is administered by Pacific Environment, a San Francisco-based
501(c)(3) nonprofit organization working to protect the living
environment of the Pacific Rim. For more information about Pacific
Environment, please visit www.pacificenvironment.org.
As part of the region’s overall conservation strategy, Pacific Environment conducts due diligence, relying heavily on our bilingual and bicultural staff. Staff members work in close cooperation with Russian Far East partners to help them achieve the objectives of their grants and environmental campaigns. Pacific Environment staff also places special emphasis on understanding and evaluating organizational health and viability. Because our intent is to create and support sustainable organizations for the long term, staff regularly gathers information and assesses the status of organizational capacity and funding.
The RFE Conservation Fund operates separately from Pacific Environment’s annual budget. Pacific Environment uses 92% of all gifts to support Russian organizations directly, with the remaining 8% covering internal costs. As the fund builds community support over the next three years, we will build the structure to launch it into a fully endowed fund.
Grants from the fund are only possible through the generosity of donors. We invite you to join us in supporting these incredible organizations and in ensuring that the Russian Far East endures as one of the Earth’s last great wilds. Make a donation now!
For more information about the Fund, please contact us directly at RFECF c/o Pacific Environment, 251 Kearny St. Second Floor, San Francisco, California, 94108.