Jobs and Internships
Work with us! Whether you're looking to get your start in environmental work with an internship, or to continue a career in environmental advocacy or nonprofit administration, this page lists all of our open positions.
San Francisco Headquarters of Pacific Environment
Pacific Environment is a unique organization that seeks to protect the living environment of the Pacific Rim by strengthening local community leadership and championing social justice in Russia, China, the Arctic, Alaska, and California. Together with local partners, we’ve shielded tens of thousands of acres of old growth forest; won protections for endangered species; forced oil, gas, and mining companies to heed local concerns; closed polluting factories along rivers; and changed the way some of the world’s most powerful financial institutions work. We believe in a communities‐first approach that gives local people and grassroots organizations the tools they need to solve environmental problems and protect the Pacific Rim’s wild places and wild life. We prioritize community decision‐making, development of local leadership, and the value of strong networks among our local partners.
Pacific Environment seeks an enthusiastic, detail-oriented individual to assist with administrative, operational, and fundraising responsibilities required to support our mission. The Program Assistant will be part of a dynamic team of dedicated professionals and will serve an integral role in facilitating the progress, effectiveness, and efficiency of our work. The Program Assistant will be based in the San Francisco headquarters office. We will consider a part-time arrangement for the right candidate.
- At least one year of administrative experience required; preferably two or more.
- Experience liaising with Board of Directors and coordinating Board Meetings
- Experience assisting the Executive Director and upper management
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion, diplomacy, and tact
- Excellent attention to detail, organizational skills, and knowledge of office procedures
- Ability to work under pressure and manage several complex projects or tasks simultaneously
- Ability to take initiative and set and reorder priorities independently
- Ability to learn and implement new concepts quickly and efficiently
- Excellent communication skills—written, in person, and on the phone
- Strong proofreading skills and proficiency in grammar and spelling
- Expertise with common desktop software (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Microsoft Exchange, database management
- Experience managing hardware, software, and troubleshooting tech issues
- Proficiency in basic accounting; experience with QuickBooks a big plus
- Experience in gifts processing; Salesforce experience strongly preferred
- Experience in event coordination
- Experience with creating eblasts, maintaining websites, and managing social media campaigns; HTML and WordPress knowledge a plus
- Experience with InDesign, Photoshop, and other Adobe programs
- Experience and interest in environmental and social change movements
- Positive attitude and personal integrity are highly desired
- Office and financial administration
- Human Resources administration
- Technology oversight
- Executive assistance and liaising with Board of Directors
- Individual donor support
- Foundation relations support
- Event assistance
- Systems and resources management
- Fundraising communications support
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Benefits package includes medical and dental coverage, a 403 (b) plan with an employer match, and generous vacation/holiday schedule
- Flexible working environment with dedicated, diverse group of colleagues
- Interesting work in interesting places: we advance environmental objectives of local communities via international and national policy work and support of local, grassroots activity
Pacific Environment is an equal opportunity employer committed to developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. People from diverse backgrounds or with international experience are encouraged to apply.
Please send a cover letter, resume, references, and your salary history to email@example.com. Please include your first and last name in the email subject line as follows: Program Assistant – YOUR NAME. This position will remain open until filled with the most qualified candidate. No phone calls, please.
We're always looking for enthusiastic interns. You'd be a great match for us if you're interested in environmental advocacy and have one or more of the following skills: you speak Chinese or Russian, you're a social media and web wiz, you're interested in gaining some hands-on experience in fundraising, or you want to participate in the daily operations of a small nonprofit.
If you'd like to intern with us, please send an email to Caroline at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your resume and a cover note in which you indicate what areas of our work you're interested in and why.