Jobs and Internships
Work with us! Whether you're looking to get your start in environmental work with an internship, or to continue a career in environmental advocacy or nonprofit administration, this page lists all of our open positions.
China Program Assistant (Temporary) Fall, 2014
Pacific Environment is looking for a China Program Assistant for Fall, 2014. Pacific Environment has partnered with local environmental groups in China for over a decade and we believe that long term environmental and social progress originates from strengthening local communities and grassroots organizations. Our work to build robust civil society institutions and leadership in China has led directly to shutting down polluting factories and holding companies like Apple Computer responsible for their suppliers’ conduct.
We currently are engaged in building the capacity of Chinese non-governmental organizations to work on water and air pollution. We are looking for a temporary project assistant to help our China Program in this exciting and challenging work. We welcome applicants who have particular interests in environmental protection, civil society, and China. The successful applicant will assist with administering the program while the Program Director is on a leave of absence.
The assistant’s main duties will include:
- Editing and translation: translating (from Chinese to English and English to Chinese)and editing materials as needed for program staff;
- Research: assisting with preparation of materials for website, factsheets, and fundraising;
- Finance and administration: processing expense reports and payments for program staff and subgrant partners in China; logistical support for program staff travel and events;
- Fluent in English and Chinese;
- Good English writing skills;
- Some college education is strongly preferred;
- Some environmental campaign experience or education in an environmental field preferred;
- Good accounting skills and organizational skills;
- Able to work independently, demonstrate good judgment, problem-solve, keep track of deadlines, and communicate well with co-workers.
The position start date will be approximately August 25, and will last approximately three months. Work hours are 15-20 hours per week and work days are flexible. The assistant will work out of Pacific Environment’s main office in downtown San Francisco, and will be supervised jointly by China Program staff and Pacific Environment’s Executive Director. Our office is conveniently located a five minute walk to the BART (subway) station and is on many bus lines; we also are happy to accommodate bicycle commuting.
Please apply by August 18, 2014. Interviews will be scheduled the week of August 18.
Visit pacificenvironment.org and read about Pacific Environment and, particularly, our China Program. Please send a resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in this position to email@example.com. Relevant writing samples are also welcomed.
Pacific Environment is an equal opportunity employer committed to developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. People from diverse backgrounds or with international experience are encouraged to apply.
We're always looking for enthusiastic interns. You'd be a great match for us if you're interested in environmental advocacy and have one or more of the following skills: you speak Chinese or Russian, you're a social media and web wiz, you're interested in gaining some hands-on experience in fundraising, or you want to participate in the daily operations of a small nonprofit.
If you'd like to intern with us, please send an email to Venee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your resume and a cover note in which you indicate what areas of our work you're interested in and why.